The Eviction Defense Collaborative strives to prevent homelessness, preserve affordable housing and protect the diversity of San Francisco by providing specialized legal assistance, financial help, and education about tenants’ rights to families and individuals facing eviction in San Francisco. Each year we provide emergency legal services and rental assistance to over 5,000 tenants.Since 1996 we have helped virtually every tenant seeking our help filing a response to an eviction lawsuit.
· In equality, respect, and social justice
· That safe, healthy, affordable housing is a human right
· In equal access to the law for all, regardless of any social, economic, racial or physical distinction
· That San Francisco is a better, more dignified city when people from diverse backgrounds, including the disabled, the working poor, minorities, and low income families can afford to make the City their home
· In high quality services that empower clients and staff through open communication and respect for cultural difference
· That all people should have power to know and assert their rights and to make their voices heard
When a tenant is drawn into the legal system by their landlord, the law is supposed to protect them against wrongful evictions. However, because no public defenders exist in civil courts, tenants who cannot afford an attorney struggle to defend their rights in a system that advantages those who can pay for legal council. The Eviction Defense Collaborative works to level the playing field by providing emergency legal assistance to our low-income neighbors. In addition, we provide emergency rental assistance to help tenants struggling to make ends meet in San Francisco. Through these programs we preserve affordable housing, prevent homelessness, and protect San Francisco's diversity so that hard working, low-income tenants can continue to have a place to call home.